Information about work, life and play in Regional Australia

Monday, November 12, 2007

Victorian Wine Regions - Rutherglen



Photo: All Saints Winery, Rutherglen

I really do like the old gold mining and wine center of Rutherglen in North Eastern Victoria.

I first went there many years ago. I had a small station wagon at the time, and came back loaded with crates of wine.

Rutherglen is located 283k (3 hours) from Melbourne by road. There are nineteen or twenty vineyards in close location to the town, vineyards that are especially famous for their fortified wines. I have two of these in my cupboard for immediate drinking as I write.

The last time I was there I did not have time to do more than go from vineyard to vineyard trying the wine. Now some might say that that was no hardship, and that would be right. But still, I did not get to properly experience the district's history. Or food!

So of you are going, allow plenty of time to explore. If you are interested you can find out more here,

No comments: