Information about work, life and play in Regional Australia

Thursday, November 23, 2006

What has Jane Austin got to do with food in Regional Australia?



Photo: Virginia Enzerink, Tall Poppy Gourmet, Cowra NSW



What, indeed, does Jane Austin have to do with food in Regional Australia?

I have just been watching Pride and Prejudice (again!) with my daughters. I do wish that I had ten thousand pounds per annum in funds so that I could properly focus on food in Regional Australia.

Today I received an email from Nicki providing information on Nosh on the Namoi. I always try to check my facts first before writing, so I dug down.

A few facts before my mouth starts watering too much.

On Saturday 31 March next year New England town of Narrabri will celebrate the 5th birthday of its annual food and wine festival, Nosh on the Namoi. I will describe the day in a moment. A little history first.

Nosh on the Namoi began with 27 exhibitors presenting products such as olives, ice cream, wine, crayfish, smoked trout, beef, herbal tea, locally produced pasta, preserves, chicken, oysters, condiments, caterers and restaurants.

Digging down further I found that Bellata Gold had been launched at Nosh on the Namoi.

Now I already knew about Bellata Gold from Regional Food Australia. The family owned firm produces the finest quality chemical free pasta, semolina and Durum flour products using traditional methods of low temperature drying, ensuring that their unique flavour is retained in pasta and distinctive herb blends. Then I found that Tall Poppy Gourmet with its luscious relishes had been launched there as well.

I will do a fuller story later. In the meantime, I just wish that I too had ten thousand per annum to help me travel Regional Australia just tasting the food and wine.

No comments: