Information about work, life and play in Regional Australia

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Going bush for city slickers - introduction

The desire to own a piece of bush as a retreat is still deeply felt by many Australians, recurring to many as a dream in the midst of a crowded city life. Often, it remains just that, a dream. In other cases, the step turns out to be a mistake, bringing problems to both the city dweller and their new neighbours. In still other cases, the result is great satisfaction.

The main reason for failure is simply failure to properly identify in advance all the issues that need to be considered. Take a simple example, weed control. Many weekend farmers let the land run wild, failing to recognise that things such as noxious weeds have to be controlled. This failure then creates difficulties for those around them.

Given the continuing interest, I can see this from some of the searches on this blog, I thought that I might start a new series pointing to some of the issues that need to be considered.

While I have been around farms all my life, I am not a farmer. So I am not going to tell you how to farm. But I thought that I could usefully give you some general hints to consider, focused especially on those who are looking for an escape, a retreat, rather than a permanent, full time, move.

In doing so, I will follow the structure that seems to work. This post will be the entry post. Then, as I add posts, I will put next posts, previous post, back to introduction at the bottom of each post to make navigation easier.

Next post.

No comments: